If you are planning a road trip with your cat but are confused about what to do and how then, this blog is for you. We are discussing tips for traveling with a cat, Traveling with a cat on a long-distance car is not tough anymore. All you need to do is take proper precautions and care and you’re all set to go.
Reading this article can help you with:
- You will know about the things you need to carry before the trip.
- You will know things you need to know before traveling with a cat.
- Will know the best place to travel with a cat.
- Will know some best cat-friendly hotels.
Here we Begin on tips for traveling with a cat!
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you out in planning on how to travel with cats in a car long distance.
So, if you have finally decided to take your furry friend on a car long distance. Then, here are a few things that you need to keep in mind. Traveling with the cat is super fun but at the same time, it can be really difficult if it doesn’t go smoothly.
This blog will definitely solve many of your queries and help you out in getting the best solutions possible.
Things you need to carry before the trip begins
Here is a list of some essential goods required when you are traveling with the cat.
A cat carrier is definitely one of the most important things you need while you travel with a cat. It is definitely recommended to carry a cat carrier to make your travel go a bit easy.
- Choosing the right cat carrier is a very important decision. From taking your cat to vet or for a trip, a cat carrier plays a quintessential role. Keep these things in mind while choosing the right cat carrier.
- Look for the right size of the cat carrier. Try to buy a carrier which is at least 1.5 times bigger than the size of your cat. Your cat should be able to move and stand or sleep inside the carrier easily. If you are planning to take a carrier especially for a trip then, it is recommended to take a much bigger size so that you can adjust a litter box inside it.
- If you are confused about opting for a soft carrier or a hard one then, it’s completely your choice. Although soft carriers are preferred more than the hard ones.
- If your cat is a bit aggressive then, opting for a hard carrier as it is not breakable.
Another important thing that you need to carry while traveling with a cat is the litter box. Look for a litter box that perfectly fits inside the cat carrier. Empty it from time to time.
Why Choose Microchips
The next important thing is the microchips. If in case your cat gets stolen or misplaced you can easily trace them with the help of this microchip. A microchip is really important when you are traveling with a pet. This ensures their safety and security.
Sedatives for Cats
If your cat won’t calm down you can opt for sedatives. Sedatives are really great to calm your cat down during a long ride. Before choosing the sedatives, consult your vet. Use the sedative only in the extreme situation and that too when your vet recommends you.
Here are a few signs that will tell you that your cat is way too nervous while the traveling
- If it is meowing excessively or very less
Which Sedatives And How You Give them to Your Cat?
If you are giving your cat tablets. Give them either by crushing it into their food or go for some flavored tablets. If you are giving them the tablets by crushing in their food try to give it in wet food don’t go for tuna or chicken.
For a liquid sedative use a syringe. Ask someone to hold the cat to avoid scratches. Open their mouth and apply the syringe at the back third of their mouth so that no foam formation takes place.
List of some sedatives :
- Benzodiazepine: Last for 12 hours
- Diphenhydramine Last for 30minutes
- Chlorpheniramine: Last for 8-12 hours
- Gabapentin: Last for 8 hours
Things You Need To Know Before Traveling With A Cat
It is very common that cats don’t like to travel much so you need to keep in mind some things while you are traveling with your cat in the car.
- Play with your cat before the trip so that they get tired and utilize the maximum of their energy in sleeping.
- Make your cat get comfortable with the carrier if you haven’t used it before. You can simply keep your carrier at one corner in your house so that your cat gets used to it.
- Keep your cat in the carrier and leave them there for longer durations so that she becomes habitual to it.
- Carry some toys to make them feel comfortable. Grab their favorite toy to keep them busy and familiar with the environment.
- Don’t overfeed them, if you give your cat food once in a day it’s absolutely fine. Try to avoid giving food in the morning.
- Put your carrier on the floor of the back seat, this place is quite safe. Don’t let your cat roam around in the car, keep them in harness or carrier.
- Don’t open the doors of your car if your cat is not in harness as they might jump out of the car.
- Stop at a regular interval like after every 2 to 3hours. This will give you as well as your cat enough time to relax and stretch.
- Keep your windows close and play soft music. Wrap your carrier with a towel if there’s too much noise of traffic.
- Last but not the least, don’t just don’t leave your cat alone in the car as it can be really dangerous for their health.
Best Places To Travel With Your Cat
There are some amazing destinations to travel along with your cat. Looking for such a place then, here is a list of some amazing destinations that you can visit with your furry friend.
The cat island in Japan
The cat island of Japan or Aoshima is one of the most popular destinations. It is one of those destinations where you will find more cats and fewer humans. Those cats will surround you once you get off your boat. There are only a few people residing in Aoshima and you are going to love this place.
The accommodations over there are cute cat shapes and thousands of kitties are seen wandering on the road. Hold your cat tightly if it gets lost, you won’t be able to find her.
Carry your own food and don’t throw waste here and there!!
The Queen Mary 2
How about taking your cat for a luxurious Cruise. There is a place called Queen Mary 2 which is explicitly built for dogs and cats to enjoy the cruise. You will spot around 24 kennels over there out of which 12 are on upper floors and 12 iron lower floors. Your cat will stay on the upper floor. There is a special kennel made for lettering. A kennel Master is there whose job is to look after your cats.
You can come and meet your cat at different intervals of 4 hours as cats are not allowed in your cabin. But they are going to receive the same luxurious treatment as you.
The Best Little Cat House, Los Angeles
The best little cat house is a luxurious boarding service for your cat to chill. Along with it, your cat will get the best grooming sessions over here. To your surprise, there are common boarding rooms, private rooms, suites, and deluxe rooms available. Don’t worry all the rooms are cage-free. In fact, the best part is you can keep a check on your cat from a webcam.
Best Cat-Friendly Hotels
- This is one of the cat-friendly hotels where you can stay in New Orleans. There is a special package called Monte’s pet package available.
- In this package, your feline friend will get special treats, water bowl, food, cute chew toys, and brochures that will tell you about all the pet-friendly attractions around the city.
- In fact, there is a floor which is entirely made for pets and your cat can roam there easily and make new friends.
- Kimpton’s is another pet-friendly hotel. They love pets and won’t mind you if you bring your feline friend along.
- There is no extra charge applied for pets.
- They have dogs as a member of hospitality and for different services.
- You and your cat are going to love this place indeed for everything from food to hospitality.
- There are special treats and food for pet animals like cats, dogs, and many more!
- La Quinta allows only pet animals like dogs and cats to stay at the hotel.
- The hotel is located at the right distance where you can find many cat-friendly destinations.
- There is a nominal fee charged for your pet.
- Not more than two pets are allowed in one room.
Your feline friends need a break as well. So, follow all these tips and tricks to keep your trip smooth and simple. Traveling with a cat in a car long distance is an amazing idea. So, go on vacation with your cat and enjoy your trip.
Some frequently asked questions
For how long can a cat travel in a car?
The idle time for a cat to travel in a car is approximately 2 hours. You need to take frequent breaks after 2 hours so that your cat can relax especially if it is traveling in a pet carrier.
How many hours skin catches hold their pee?
The cats can hold pee between 24 to 48 hours. Even if they drink enough fluids and take regular meals.
How to travel along with your cats for a long trip in a car?
You need to keep the following things in mind while you are traveling with the cat.
- Keep your cat in a carrier
- Talk to your vet about your cat health and can travel two such a long distance
- Take proper breaks after 2 to 3 hours so that your cat can drink water and litter.
- Always pack extra food and medicines for your cat.
How to calm your cat while traveling in a car?
If you want to come your cat reduces the noise around. Cover the pet carrier with the towel to reduce noise and play soothing music.
Is Benadryl safe for cats to make them sleep?
Benadryl is considered extremely safe and secure but be careful if you give it in access there is a probability of pausing your cat lethargy.
Do cats suffer from car sicknesses?
The most common problem that cats face is motion sickness. Cats are much more challenging than dogs to overcome anxiety while traveling in a car. Mostly cats face motion sickness because of stress and anxiety caused by travel.
Also, you can read it! 7 Best Surfing Spots In The World in which we also fall into details like tips to follow while surfing and discussed the best spots in the world for surfing!
Here you can also read, an article from another website on a related topic which can help you more How to Calm Down a Cat in the Car!